ISGS has just heard fantastic news from the
Illinois State Archives Director, Dr. David Joens:
The Illinois Death Certificates searchable database at ilsos.gov has been updated to include death certificate entries for the years 1951 - 1971!
CLICK HERE to visit the NEW 1951-1971 Death Index Database!
This is a long-awaited update that is sure to help many Illinois family historians! The updated database is listed separately from the earlier death indexes, so now when you visit the State Archives Databases page at ilsos.gov, you will see the marriage index plus three death index options. At this time, the database is searchable ONLY – there are no records to pull. ISGS will continue to pull death certificates only for results from the 1916-1947 database.
Illinois Statewide Vital Records Databases
• Illinois Statewide Death Index Pre-1916 An Ongoing Project of the Illinois State Archives
• Illinois Statewide Death Index (191601950) An index created by the Illinois Dept. of Public Health
• Illinois Statewide Death Index (1951-1971) An index created by the Illinois Dept. of Public Health NEW!
• Illinois Statewide Marriage Index 1763-1900 An Ongoing Project of the Illinois State Archives and ISGS
The information you will find in the new database is very similar to the 1916-1950 database:
- Age at Death
- Certificate Number
- Date of Death
- City and County where the certificate was filed
- Date Certificate was filed
This information can be used to contact the County Clerk for a copy of the death certificate. Death certificates prior to 1916 or after 1947 can be obtained through the County Clerk's office where the certificate was filed.
Remember: death certificate images from the years 1916-1947 can be obtained through ISGS for a discounted rate! CLICK HERE to learn about our Death Certificate Lookup Service.
Keep an eye out for more information about this exciting database update from Dr. Joens in an upcoming ISGS Newsletter!