Midwestern Gems: Back Issues of Genealogical, Historical and Sociological Journals
- Presenter: Paula Stuart-Warren, CG, FMGS, FUGS
- Date: October 11, 2016, 8:00 pm Central
- Description: Many years of social history, local/state history, military, and other serials aid in studying migration, land, military, churches, railroads, cemeteries, and other aspects of Midwestern ancestry. A plethora of FREE specialized finding aids, print and online access, and indexes exist. A journal might not mention a specific ancestor but may tell the story of a battle, town disturbance, or dispute in which an ancestor took part or observed. It might detail the history of a business or of a cemetery and list early burials.
- Registration: https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/4021548811025038081
Principles of Effective Evidence Analysis
- Presenter: George G. Morgan
- Date: November 8, 2016, 8:00 pm Central
- Description: Evidence comes in many forms and with varying amounts of content. This lecture focuses on studying evidence for reliable and less-than-reliable information. It begins with a discussion of types of source materials - original vs. derivative - and the differences between primary and secondary information, and goes on to address mixed content on sources. Print vs. electronic media are considered throughout, and evaluation of source citations to determine evidence weight and reliability is stressed.
- Registration: https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/5160689038658812674
Without the Hint - There is No Story
- Presenter: Bernice Alexander Bennett
- Date: December 13, 2016, 8:00 pm Central
- Description: Oral history, passing remarks and casual conversations can lead to a journey to discover the family story. The value of listening rather than discounting information can set the stage to crack a brick wall. Every family has a challenge to uncover the truth, and one important challenge is explore every little detail heard that will prove or disprove the information. This webinar is a case study of a casual conversation (a little hint) that opens the door to finding an amazing family story, which spans through an array of events and a myriad of records.
- Registration: https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/3458035909419848194